Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Working hard is the solution to most people's problems

My friend Carl posted this image today and I really liked it so I'm reposting it here:

It's so brilliant because a lot of people would rather complain about the system rather than work hard. When, really, the solution to most people's problems is just to work hard.

I, however, also completely recognize stories such as this:

I am a college junior, and I will graduate with 16,000 in debt. I pay for all my living expenses by working 40 hours a week making minimum wage. I chose a moderately priced, in-state public university, and even began at a two-year college because it was the cheapest option. I got decent grades in high school, but received no scholarships because I spent 6 years in the workforce before returning to college. I currently have a 4.0 GPA. I live uncomfortably in a cheap apartment with two siblings who were abandoned by my mother, who tried to kill herself because she was too poor for psychiatric help. I only eat out when my friends who own restaurants invite me for free dinners. I live at my means because it's the only way to provide for my other family members. I have no health insurance because I make too much for Badger Care, but not enough to buy insurance. My mommy and daddy don't pay for my college, my debt, or any other necessities or living expenses. I have had three dental infections in the last year, requiring over $9,000 in dental expenses. That is 1/2 of what I make in one year. I can see why most people in my situation would NOT attend college, because it is a drain on time and finances. 

There's a game I think everyone above middle class should play called SPENT. I played that game and walked away with 300-something dollars. Oh man! I wish I could have that much money right now!, I thought. But that's because I had $21.75 in my bank account after spending three weeks on the road to get to California so I could look for jobs in biopharm and brewing.

But, as I quoted before, and as I quote again, "It is a rough road that leads to the heights of greatness."

Some people just need to go to school and work hard and things will work out well enough for them to be satisfied (well, at least until that midlife crisis strikes). Some people need to travel a road less traveled by. Neither people are better than the other, they're just different.

No comments:

Post a Comment