Wednesday, October 12, 2011

A uniform of one's own

My friend posted this link today on why Steve Jobs wore that black turtleneck all the time. It got me thinking.

Uniforms originated as a way of clothing people who could not afford to clothe themselves. In 16th century England, for instance, uniforms were given to children at charity schools. Having attended a private school for four years, where money flowed harder than the Niagara Falls, I realize school uniforms now serve a different purpose. 

Uniforms are supposed to be unifying. But, along with that, they are also quite suffocating. I remember, for instance, how almost all of my detentions in private school were based on a uniform violation. I'd either untuck my shirt, put a belt around my skirt, or not wear my blazer. I hated wearing my uniform. But the teachers and parents told me it was supposed to make focusing on school a lot easier. I guess it makes sense: the less you have to think about what you wear, the more you can think about other things.

People, especially the creative ones, would rather have their own uniform, one that makes them comfortable. And one man's uniform is not necessarily everyone else's uniform. Perhaps Jobs likes his black turtlenecks while Zuckerberg prefers blue vests. What's wrong with that?

I believe in a "uniform of one's own." What I mean by this is a uniform that maintains a person's individuality while also sharing a common thread. An easy way to achieve a common thread is to have the same designer present different styles from which the individuals can choose based on their preferences. A common designer, color, or logo are just some ways to achieve a common thread and thus establish a sort of unity among peers. And if a person is creative and ambitious enough to create their own especially unique style that incorporates the common thread, I think that should be applauded. 

Creativity, individuality, and self-confidence are very important for success. Creativity is hard to teach but easily nurtured. Companies and schools should not inhibit individual thinking. As for the military, I will report back on that matter once I spend some time at a base.

No comments:

Post a Comment